Monday, January 9, 2012

One Year Later, Life After the Forest.

Happy New Year everyone.  Yes, this is how I opened my first blog, one year ago after giving up alcohol for the entire year.  2011 was an interesting year to say the least.  I became a Grandfather in 2011.  Kandy earned her Lighting Certification (LC).  And even my youngest daughter Makenna finally became potty trained...sort of.  Probably the biggest outcome of spending 1 Year In The Forest is that I learned so much about myself and I'd have to say that I realized how all of the events in one's life lead all come together for a purpose in the future.

The Cutest Granddaughter - Rylee!

Usually, when someone asks, "what did you do last year?" or "what have you been up to lately?" the most common reaction is to tell them about things you did, or what you're family is doing, and so forth.  For me, all those things matter, but one major change in 2011 is the awareness of my own nature and a better understanding of the who I am as an individual.

They say something happens to you when you experience stress in your life, or change, or even trauma.  They also say "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger" but we all know that is bullshit!  In the past year, I've realized that there were many, many things from my past that I either didn't deal with properly, or I didn't deal with them at all.  Being sober for a full year gives you time to think and to be present in the moment.  Through the years of my domestication, I remember a point where everything was about happiness and then around 12 or 13 years old...the happiness gave way to what some people call "Life" or the reality of life.  Sometimes, life isn't all peaches and ice cream.

Sobriety gave me a second glimpse at all the heartaches in my past.  I also think of all the stupid reactions I did, all the goofy behaviors, all the misguided enthusiasm over the past 30 years and I'd have to say much of that was due to the fact that I wasn't facing my challenges with the proper maturity and I didn't have the guidance from people around me.  And it's not the actual behavior that bites me in the butt, but the lingering regret and wallowing in the emotions following the one-time or pattern of event/events.

In the coming year, I will sharing my history of events and situations that shaped my life, both positively and negatively.  Believe it or not, it all started in the womb, but I don't blame my parents.  That's right, it's not anybody's fault; it just happened.  I'm also sharing some of the materials I've been reading and watching that have helped "enlighten" me over the years, plus I'll introduce you to some of the people who've helped me hone my recovery to happiness.  I've been very fortunate to have all of my friends and family in my life.  I am a lucky man.



Finally, in this overview of 2012's entries into the 1 Year in the Forest blog, I'll continue on my description of the "Real World Matrix" in a kind of pseudo Red Pill Movement where I write from inspiration to explain common elements of society and their effects at keeping us under control.  It should be a wacky year with lots of heartache and fun...stay tuned if you like, and if not, thanks for seeing me through the first year.  It was an eyeopener for me.



Cheers,

DW

No comments:

Post a Comment