Saturday, May 21, 2011

Happy Spring - Weather, Medical Reports, and Dreams!

Hi Everyone.  May is over half way through and the weather is just fabulous!  As this month comes to a close, I'm eager to share my experiences, lab results and dreams.

Many of you may remember my reports of new-found energy and motivation after suspending my alcohol consumption.  I can say that I've put that energy and motivation to riding my bike on long rides and yesterday was awesome.  I asked my wife to pick up Makenna after school for me and keep her for the afternoon so I could get a long bike ride in my schedule.  After taking care of some business in the morning, I rode my bicycle into Portland, met Kandy and Makenna for lunch and rode home in the afternoon...a total of 45+ miles.

Earlier in May, I rode a metric century (100 km = 62 miles), the Salem Bicycle Club's "Monster Cookie Ride" from downtown Salem to Champoeg State Park and back.  I went by myself, but met lots of new friends, including some gentlemen my age and one that has given up alcohol for the past 15 years.  The weather that May lst was the best of any of the Monster Cookie rides in recent years, and it was a fabulous day as well.  And I've got a few more century rides (real 100-milers) in my schedule for this year.


One of the major reasons for this journey through the land of sobriety was my health.  Not only fitness, but actual wellness within, both mind and body.  My physical last fall was crucial in my decision to make changes in my life.  Triglyceride levels were the main area of concern during my examination and at that time, I was at 193 (130-150 are consider safe levels in most adults).  In fact, 201 or higher is the "Alarm" level and seriously affects one's health.  I was only 8 points below the alarm level.

Well, now I am happy to share that my recent results from earlier this month are "117" and I credit that to limiting alcohol and going back to the gym...along with the occasional 62-mile bike ride.  Along with this improved health condition, I've also lost eight pounds and I'm sure some of that was regaining muscle.

Exactly 10 years ago, I deployed to Saudi Arabia in support of Operation Southern Watch.  In the desert, your body doesn't need as many calories to maintain metabolic body heat function.  After about a week of eating like I did in the US, my stomach started to feel sick after eating, and I think it was my body telling me that it didn't need these extra calories.  After adjusting my caloric intake down to about 1800 per day, and switching to more fruits and vegetables, I slowly dropped weight from about 215 down to 190 and back up to 192.5 over a three-month period.  That too was a period where I abstained from drinking alcohol, and my body responded positively.

And finally, a word about dreams.  In an earlier report, I remarked upon the difference in my dream states, experiencing more vivid and satisfying dreams.  Last week, I had another cheat dream where I was at a convention in a hotel and a server was walking around with a tray full of white-wine glasses.  I instinctively picked up one and took a drink, and in my dream, I realized that I was wanting not to drink and I put the glass back down on the tray.  I remembered the dream when I woke in the morning, and was relieved that I didn't really drink.

So what does all this mean?  I really don't know.  Could it be that I can drink and control my consumption.  I have noticed that dreams where I was going to go somewhere or go flying in my airplane were the subject, but some blockage was in the dream that kept me from getting to the good part meant that something in my life was limiting me in some way.  The topic of dreams now intrigues me and I look forward to researching dreams in general in many different ways.  Until then, I will continue to live in the "waking" world and will report back soon!

Don

No comments:

Post a Comment