Saturday, January 29, 2011

Stats Review - 1 Month Down; Only 11 More to Go.

Greetings from the forest as January comes to a close.  It's been nearly 1 month since I started this journey and I feel great!  The transition from a alcohol life to a non-drinking one has been smooth and I'd have to say that I don't notice a period of change any longer.  I feel the same each day when I wake up, and that's a good thing.



I thought it would be a perfect time to offer some statistics on my blog and on other things related to this subject.  First, as of the time of this posting, I have had 348 page views with readers from the Unites States, Canada, Germany, Malaysia, Denmark, and India.  Some days I get three or four page views with the highest days having up to 21 - 23 page views.  And the readers are using various browsers and devices to view my blog, everything from Windows to Macintosh with Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer.  I even have followers on their Iphones.

About a week ago, one of my friends from Canada suggested I write also about the other side effects of giving up alcohol.  She said that "you've got to be spending less money."  What a great idea!  So, I went through my receipts from Trader Joe's, Fred Meyer, McMenamin's, and all the brewpubs I used to frequent like Bridgeport or Deschutes.  Right up front, I noticed that my average receipts from Trader Joe's  and Fred Meyer were about $20 to $30 less on a weekly basis.  As far as McMenamin's and other brewpubs go, I was spending $30 to $60 twice a week on average for food and beverages for me and my family or friends.  Adding all this up, I'd have to say that I spent $300-$500 per month on alcohol related stuff.

Another thing I've noticed is that I'm not washing wine glasses every single day, so my pots and pans routine has gotten shorter.  This means I have more free time to write in my blog, right?  Actually, I think I have more time for other things because I'm not going to the pub or sitting in front of the TV with a beer or glass of wine like in the past.  Going to the gym, playing my video game, and doing more stuff with Kandy and Makenna is the new routine.  I'm helping people more, getting out in the garden more, and I'm finding more energy for activities once neglected under a drinking lifestyle.

Some new goals for 2011 include riding more century (100 mile) rides with friends this year, and going backpacking more.  Along with the backpacking, I'm adding more camping trips with the family.  Going to the gym regularly is already on my list, but I've missed the past two weeks due to illness (mine and my daughter's) and a few appointments that took priority.  But starting Monday, I should get back on track.  I went from 218 pounds to about 214 and have stayed there since about December.  I'm hoping to get to my healthier weight of about 190 pounds by this summer and I plan to keep it there through next winter.



Overall, this first month has been great with lots of realizations and revelations.  I'm sure more will come and I'll have more to write about as well.  Maybe in my next blog, I'll find time to tell you why I feel I have ADD and how this self diagnosis isn't such a bad thing.  Until then, stay in touch and think of me when you enjoy that fine glass of beer or wine.  Cheers,

Don

No comments:

Post a Comment