Monday, January 10, 2011

Winter in the Forest - Day 10 - Thanks, Sleep, and a Brief History.

January in the Forest; it's winter.  This time of year the forest is quiet, it's cold, and the sun rises late and sets early.  Imagine how easy it is to feel cold and alone on a dark winter's night.  Perhaps for just a second, if I pause to listen to the nature of the forest, I'll hear something.  There's a raven call in the crisp, dry air.  I can also hear flutters as a little bird darts from one branch to another.  I can even hear water trickling under the snow and an occasional mouse scurries through the roots of nearby trees.  Then, for only a moment or two, the sun beams through a break in the clouds to put a warm smile on my face.  I feel good in the forest and give thanks!

Let me say up front, thank you everyone.  Several of you have emailed me with words of support and a few have shared your experiences with me.  I find the warmth in your encouragement, just like when the sunshine touches my skin.  Many thanks to the God of the Universe for sunshine today, as well as my supportive friends and family.  Please keep writing and following my progress, and I encourage everyone to sign up to "Follow" this blog as well as post comments whenever you like.

Today is January 10th.   I had a rare experience last night where I closed my eyes and fell asleep at around 11 PM, and the next thing that happened was the  6 AM alarm going off.  I dreamed like I haven't in a very long time--it was so vivid and clear.  I was a leader, I think a General, and my dream was about giving a speech to all those who relied upon me to lead them to victory.  It wasn't clear if we were at war or if there was a challenge of some sort, but I did detect a climate of solemnness and reverence.  The mood was serious and I was a little scared.  My year-long quest may have influenced the dream and I feel the lack of alcohol in my system contributed positively to this experience last night, let me explain how.

Alcohol is a REM-Sleep inhibitor.  REM, or Rapid Eye Movement is a state of sleep where we dream.  Physiologically speaking, our body goes into an average of about four stages of sleep each night, with the first two being light and shallow, and the last two being progressively deeper.  It is these last two stages of sleep where we enter deeper REM and we dream.  The quality of our sleep is greatly affected by our drinking, and for someone like me, who used to drink on average of 3-5 (an occasionally 7) nights per week, I rarely had the full quality REM cycles the human body needs for complete rest.  And needless to say, my dream's sucked.  This is not to say that alcohol affects the type of or subject mater in your dreams, it merely restricts the REM Stage's effectiveness and leaves this Blogger's head and body feeling like a lump in the morning.

It had been so long since I'd had a good night's sleep and I couldn't remember when I'd dreamed like this.  Except for maybe three months at a time, and perhaps six months total once before now, I think I've always had a drink on a weekly basis since graduating from High School in 1981.  Looking further back, I'd have to say that I started social or recreational drinking sometime around 14 or 15 years  of age.  Through the access of older friends, and peers who had parents with unlocked liquor cabinets, I enjoyed a drink from time to time.  I easily recall the monthly "Kegger's" with many of those were TOGA parties.  Man, those were the days!  Joining the military in 1982 would prove to enable my lifestyle of alcohol...but that's an entry for another time.  More soon!

Thanks again for all your email and comments, keep them coming.  Cheers,

Aviator

No comments:

Post a Comment